Are You Dating Again?

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Angel And The Lovers

Around 2001, Kim told me the below story. As I typed this story for you, I recapped it the best I can remember. I have changed the names to protect her and her privacy.

--------------

Kim relayed this event to me several years ago and has contemplated the “what if” outcome since then.

--------------

I had been single for several years and when I met Rick, I completely fell for him.

Yes, we had differences, but we each felt we were a good matched and ready for the next step. That is I thought so. As the discussion of commitment came up, it was clear that I was ready and he was not.

I became short-tempered and found myself not wanting to continue the relationship and waste no more time with him.

One of Rich’s favorite pastimes was to attend off-road vehicle races. One particular weekend we went to Plymouth California for an event. Hot, dry and noisy the crowds were mulling about between the big race events.

I was trying to be attentive to him, but found myself holding his hand and just looking around while he talked to his friends.

I had my left shoulder to his right shoulder and turned to look around. I am looking down at the dirt ground and noticed a man standing a little too close facing me. I look up quickly and a very tall man in a dark suit is looking directly at me!

I am 6’ tall with the boots I was wearing; this man was at least 6’2” and I looked directly into his eyes and gasped. He was very good looking, long blond-white semi-straight hair with blue as the sky eyes. He was young looking probably around my age (30ish), yet he so stood out in this crowd with a dark blue suit on.

I probably stood there with my mouth open, and all I could say was, “Hello?” As though I did not know what I should say next. I thought to myself, “This man is really handsome!” Yet here I stood holding Richard’s hand, I felt guilty.

He spoke, “Do you love him? You need to tell him.”

I couldn’t believe my eyes or my ears. I turned quickly around to get Richard’s attention, pulling on his arm to get him to face me.

As he did, I said, “This man here…” Turning around to look at him again, he was gone. I franticly looked around, he was really gone! 10 seconds and he is not within visual? With hair like that and a blue suit, he would really be seen easily.

Richard tugged on my arm again and asked, “What did you want?”

Looking back at Richard I said, “There was a tall blond man there! Now he is gone!”

He turned back and continued his conversation with his friends. I stood there dumbfounded and misbelieving my eyes. Now what do I make of this?

I should mention here that I am a policewoman, and not prone to missing details.

I did not tell Richard I loved him. I had been backing off and so did he, within a month we stopped seeing each other.

I believe that this was an Angel visitation, telling me I’d lose him if I did not speak up. In my mind, we were on two different paths and I had been in similar situations before that led nowhere.

Did I miss my chance with the man I was meant to be with? To the unborn children that were never conceived?

Several years later I met someone new. We dated three years, and then got married.

I’ve always wondered what role that “Angel” was meant to have in my life. I wonder how my life would have been if I had told Richard I loved him. I take it that the “Angel” implied our relationship would have had a different outcome. Would that “Angel” come back into my life again, I guess I’ll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment